The Communications & Graphics Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining the public image of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden. Duties include managing the social media channels and website of the Garden, researching content for posts, providing customer service to members, the general public and journalists, and increasing awareness of the Garden and its activities. The Communications & Graphics Specialist will also create Garden graphics, publications, and signage. The approximate allocation of time is 40% graphic design and 60% marketing/public relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops brand identity standards for the Garden, including use of the logo, for digital and print media and social media presence.
- Develops visual standards for the Garden’s website (currently using Joomla.) Updates the website weekly for Garden activities other than Community Education.
- Grows the Garden’s social media following, and increases public awareness of the Garden, its activities, and its resources. Maintains the Garden’s social media presence and community on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, including sourcing and researching content, responding to comments within 24 hours, deleting spam, and moderating as necessary.
- Writes and manages monthly content for The Buzz (online newsletter), including writing, sourcing and sizing photographs, pulling mailing lists from Altru, and checking open and click rates.
- Writes and sources monthly content for Grow Native News including sourcing and sizing photographs, pulling mailing lists from Altru (constituent database), and checking open and click rates.
- Creates printed marketing and promotional materials for the Garden, sources them from printers, and manages their distribution. Materials include postcards, fliers, banners, brochures and gardening tip sheets for Garden activities and the Grow Native Nursery. Creates and edits visitor “passports” for School Tours and Programs.
- Designs invitations and materials for Development and Membership special events upon request.
- Designs, reviews, and edits interpretive and directional signage, as requested.
- Designs advertisements when needed.
- Submits appropriate Garden events to local online and print event calendars.
- Manages special filming and photography requests.
- Manages the Community Relations budget.
- Attends department, planning, and coordinating meetings as needed.
- Deals discreetly with sensitive and confidential information concerning Membership and Development.
- Hosts press & media visits in collaboration with other staff.
- Assists with development and membership special events as requested
Qualifications and Experience Required:
Experience using HTML-based programs for web management is required. Strong graphic design experience using Adobe Creative Cloud is required. Excellent oral communication skills and ability to interact positively with a wide range of stakeholders required, including visitors, journalists, members, donors and the general public. Must have outstanding written communication skills with experience writing/editing content for websites, press releases and social media. Bachelor’s degree. Five+ years’ work experience.
Sincere and demonstrated interest in the mission of RSABG via prior experience in botany, horticulture, conservation, environmental education, landscape design, natural sciences or a related field; or deep knowledge and experience in communications with track record of getting up to speed quickly in a new field of knowledge. Knowledge of California native plants strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Adeline Ojeda
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Fax to (909) 626-3489
Volunteering is a wonderful way to explore the many facets of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden.
Visit the “Become a Volunteer” page on our website to learn more about opportunities.