RANCHO SANTA ANA BOTANIC GARDEN
1500 North College Avenue, Claremont, CA91711-3157· Phone 909-625-8767 · Fax 909626-7670 www.rsabg.org
TITLE: Field Botany Technician (invasive plants)
DEPARTMENT: Field Studies
STATUS: Full time hourly (9 months), 5 positions
REPORTS TO: Conservation Botanist
In collaboration with the Angeles National Forest, assists the Conservation Botanist with invasive plant management within the Station Fire burn area. Duties include hand removal of invasive plant species, rugged backcountry hiking, and some GPS mapping of plant populations. Must approach all tasks with respect for natural, cultural and fiscal resources, co-workers, volunteers, partner agencies, and organizations. This is a full time seasonal position (40 hours a week for approximately 9 months, starting in March).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under cooperative agreements between RSABG, Angeles National Forest, and National Forest Foundation assists in the execution of invasive plant species removal.
- Manual removal of invasive plant species.
- Drive and navigate to field sites.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A working knowledge of basic taxonomic principles and characteristics of major plant families andCaliforniaflora desired.
- Ability to perform difficult physical labor such as pulling up plants.
- Ability to use GPS equipment and read/navigate with topographic maps.
- Knowledge and ability to properly use chainsaws and other hazardous equipment.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork under a variety of environmental conditions is required.
- The physical ability to hike several miles a day for 10+ hours a day, carrying a pack through strenuous terrain in adverse weather conditions.
- Must have physical strength and endurance sufficient to carry field equipment and supplies.
Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Naomi Fraga
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Fax to (909) 626-3489